Book an appointment
Call us at:
+61(03) 70146424

Student Visa - Subclass 500

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Subclass 500

  • Is subclass 500 a permanent visa?

    Subclass 500 visas, which are for students, are short-term visas. Applicants are required to provide a statement proving their desire to depart the country once the visa expires. If you meet the other visa's criterion, you can still apply for additional visas or permanent residency in Australia.

  • Can a visa Subclass 500 student visa work in Australia?

    Student visa holders with a subclass 500 status are permitted to work for a total of 48 hours per fortnight during the academic term and an unlimited number of hours during the academic vacation. Unpaid or pro bono labour does not factor into the twice-monthly total.

  • Can I change my course in Australia in subclass 500?

    Yes! If you are an overseas student studying in Australia on a Student visa (subclass 500), and you decide that the course you are studying isn't helping you reach your professional goals, you may change your course to the same AQF level. Downgrading to a lower AQF level is not permitted as it would violate your visa conditions. It's advisable to consult with a registered migration agent to determine if you would be breaching any visa conditions.

  • How long does it take to get Australian visa subclass 500?

    As of Feb 2024, 90% of higher education applications are handled in 66 days, and 50% are processed within 16 days.Still, you should check on the Global visa processing time page available on the department of home affairs website.

  • What are the new changes in the Australian Student visa subclass 500??

    Effective from March 23, 2024, the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement for the Student visa subclass has been replaced with the Genuine Student requirement. Starting from March 23rd, the online student visa application form will include the following questions to address the Genuine Student criteria:
    1. Provide details of the applicant’s current circumstances, including ties to family, community, employment, and economic circumstances.
    2. Explain why the applicant wishes to study this course in Australia with this particular education provider. This explanation must also cover their understanding of the requirements of the intended course and studying and living in Australia.
    3. Elaborate on how completing the course will benefit the applicant.
    4. Provide details of any other relevant information the applicant would like to include.

    Lastly, the English language requirement for subclass 500 has been changed. For more information, please refer to our blog about the English requirement for subclass 500.

Student Visa Subclass 500 – Australian Student Visa

The Student Visa Australia Subclass 500 is your ticket to studying in Australia hassle-free. It allows international students to pursue their education at approved Australian institutions. With this visa, you can enjoy a world-class education, gain valuable skills, and experience life in one of the most diverse and welcoming countries. Whether you're aiming for a degree, diploma, or certificate, the Subclass 500 visa offers flexibility and opportunities for growth. Let us guide you through the process and help you make your academic dreams a reality in Australia.
Australian student visa may be granted for up to 5 years to study a full-time course with the CRICOS registered institute. You can study anywhere you want in Australia.

Benefits of Australian student visa subclass 500:

The Australian student visa opens doors to top-notch education in renowned universities across the country. With this visa, you can access world-class academic programs tailored to your interests and goals. Rest assured, education providers adhere to strict standards set by the Australian education department, ensuring quality learning experiences. Plus, you'll exclusively study CRICOS registered courses, guaranteeing that your educational journey meets rigorous standards recognized globally.

You have the option to include your family members in your student visa application. Accompanying family members, including children and your spouse, can be included in the same visa application as you. This allows your loved ones to travel with you and share in your Australian study experience. By applying together, you can ensure that your family stays together throughout your time studying in Australia.

You can apply for a student visa either within Australia or from outside the country. However, regardless of where you apply from, all student visa applicants must fulfill the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement to ensure a successful outcome. This criterion assesses the sincerity of your intention to stay in Australia temporarily for study purposes and is a crucial aspect of the application process. Meeting the GTE requirement is essential for a positive decision on your student visa application.

Under the Student Visa Subclass 500, students can work part-time, up to 48 hours every two weeks, while their course is in session. During term breaks, they have the flexibility to work unlimited hours. If the primary applicant is studying a Master's degree by coursework or research, secondary applicants can work full-time. Additionally, primary applicants pursuing a PhD or a Master's by research are also permitted to work full-time. This visa provides students with the opportunity to balance work and study, enhancing their experience in Australia.

Eligibility criteria for the Australian Student Visa - Subclass 500

Enrollment in a Course: You must have been accepted into a registered course at an Australian educational institution. In other words, you must have Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the institute.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement: You need to demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study. The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement encompasses various factors, such as your circumstances in your home country, your connections there, educational background, work experience, and a compelling reason for undertaking the chosen course of study.

Health Insurance: You must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Welfare Arrangement: Applicant under the age of 18 must have an adequate welfare arrangement for the stay in Australia

Health and Character Requirements: You should meet health and character standards set by the Australian government.

Financial Capacity: You must prove that you have enough funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and any accompanying family members' costs.Starting from October 1, 2023, individual students will be required to demonstrate financial capacity to cover living expenses of at least $29,710 AUD per year. The 12-month living cost for a spouse is $10,394, while for a child, it is $4,449.

We boast a team of best education counselors with extensive expertise in career planning. Don't hesitate to reach out to our best education counselors in Melbourne, who can assist you in selecting the perfect course for your studies.

Steps involved in student visa subclass 500 Application:

The steps involved in applying for a Student Visa Subclass 500 are as follows:

1. Choose a course and institution registered with CRICOS. If you're unsure about selecting a course, consider seeking guidance from an experienced education counselor.
2. Once accepted, you will receive an offer letter from the institution. After accepting the offer, you'll receive a CoE, which is necessary for your visa application.
Use the Document checklist Tool to find out the exact document requirements. Please click the provided link:
Collect all required documents, including proof of enrollment, financial statements, health insurance, English proficiency test results, and other relevant paperwork.
Fill out the online visa application form accurately, attaching all required documents.You can opt for assistance from a Registered Migration Agent to complete the application form and attach the necessary and recommended documents.
Applicant may create an immi account at ImmiAccount, and attached all the required document along with personal statement for Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) and Pay the Visa Application Charges (VAC)
Attend any required biometrics appointments and undergo health examinations.
After submitting your application, wait for the Department of Home Affairs to process it. You may be required to provide additional information or attend an interview during this stage.
Once your application is processed, you'll receive a decision on your visa application.If your visa is granted, you can make arrangements to travel to Australia and commence your studies.

How to use the Document Checklist Tool

This checklist gives you the guideline on what documents are required to upload with the student visa. Applicant needs to enter the country of passport and the name of education provider to get an accurate document checklist. If applicant has not selected the education provider, he/she can leave the education provider section blank or select ‘My Education Provider is not listed’.

This tool assesses the risk level of country and the institute and indicates if financial documents and English test are required. If they are required, please ensure to upload all the required documents at this step.

What is the Visa Application Cost (VAC) for Australian Student Visa Subclass 500?

Visa application fee (Base Application) is $710 for the main applicant and additional fee is required if other family members are added to the application. Applicant can use the Visa Pricing Estimator to find out the exact fee. This visa fee must be paid to the department at the time of lodgement. Applicants who are currently in Australia and hold specific visas may be required to pay an additional $700 (Subsequent charges) when lodging their student visa application.

Estimated processing time for the Australian Student Visa 500 (as Feb 2024)

Processing time varies between each application: Higher Education Sector
50% of applications in 16 days
90% of applications in 66 days

Vocational Education and Training Sector
50% of applications in 35 days
90% of applications in 3 months

Please check the Processing time for Student Visa Application here.

Student Visa FAQ

Can I include family members on my student visa application?

Yes, as long as they are your member of family unit i.e. wife or dependent child. Please note that all accompanying family members must also meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement. It is crucial to upload the GTE statement and supporting documents for each family member along with the application.

Do I need to declare all of my family member in the student visa application?

Yes, regardless if your family member does not want to travel to Australia with you. Applicant must declare all the family member in the student visa application. If you do not declare your family member in the application and later, they decide to join. Then a new student visa application is needed to be lodged with the clarification on ‘Why applicant did not declare the member of family unit’ in the first application’. If you marry or have a child after your student visa is granted. Then, you should update the department with change in circumstances form.

Is Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) mandatory for Australian Student Visa Subclasses 500?

Definitely yes, all the applications must hold a OSHC from an approved Australian Health Insurance provider for the duration of course and their intended stay in Australia. If you are unsure which OSHC is best and affordable. You can visit our website and purchase OSHC from there. Getting a quotation for the OSHC is so easy. Usually, it is $480-$500 for single applicant per year.

Do I need to take an PTE or IELTS test for the student visa lodgement?

You are required to take either PTE or IELTS test and It is the entry requirement by the institute and the department may also require at any time depends on the risk level of the country of your residence. Applicant can take either PTE Academic or IELTS Academic for the student visa lodgement purpose. Some countries are exempted to meet the study requirements such as UK, Canada, The United State of America and who has completed 5 years of study in Australia. English test is the most important requirement for student visa.

English test requirements are different for the immigration purpose and the universities. Please contact us for correct information.
English test must not be more than 2-year-old for student visa purpose only.
If applicant fall into exempt category and hold specified passport then will not require the English test.

What should I do if my student visa about to expire and I have not finished my studies?

You must apply for the new student visa to continue studying in Australia. Contact us if you need any help.

What if my circumstances are changed?

You are required to inform the Department of Home Affairs and inform them about the changes:

If you change your mobile number, email address, residential address or make a new passport etc.
If your marital status is changes or you marry someone
Any changes occur in your welfare arrangements
In the event of a birth of child

What if I change my course?

Maintaining a full-time study and the SAME AQF level is part of student visa conditions. If you change your course, you should tell the Department of Home Affairs. If you change your course to a lower AQF Level, it may affect your visa and you will be in the breach of student visa condition. In that case the department usually send the Notice of intention to cancellation (NOIC) and ask for the clarification.

Welfare arrangement for the applicant under 18 years of age

Applicant needs to nominate a student guardian. Who can be applicant parent, relative or legal custodian and must over 21 years of age. Guardian must have visa to stay in Australia until applicant turns 18 years of age. Applicant must organise a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) with the education provider. And Education provider issue the CAAW and inform the Department of applicant’s welfare arrangements start and end date. Applicant must get Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form if applicant is a secondary exchange student. A signed copy of CAAW is needed to be attached with the student visa application, or If the applicant is a Foreign Affairs or Defence student, then the applicant will need to get the approval for the welfare arrangement from the relevant Minister.

How would I know if my student visa is granted?

The department notifies the applicant about the student visa application by writing or sending emails. The visa grant notification contains:

Visa grant number
Date of visa expiry
And imposed visa conditions

Applicant must always keep a copy of the student visa handy and read all the imposed visa conditions carefully.
If your visa is refused, the department will explain you in writing why your student visa was refused. And Visa application charge (VAC) will not be refunded.

How many hours can I work on student visa?

On student visa, you can work 24 hours per week or 48 hours fortnightly during the study sessions and unlimited work during term break.

What travel facilities do I get on my student Visa?

Student visa holder gets multiple travel facilities until the visa validity. It means you can travel as many times as possible you want in or outside Australia for study purpose.

Disclaimer: The information provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

This page was last modified on: 03/01/2024 22:32:11

Book Consultation With Registered Migration Agent