Book an appointment
Call us at:
+61(03) 70146424

Student Guardian Visa

Student Guardian Visa – Subclass 590

An international student under the age of 18 is required to have a guardianship in Australia. The consent for the guardianship can be given by any close relative of the applicant, who has already been living in Australia. Otherwise applicant’s family member can also apply for Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590 to join his/her child to support during the studies. This is considered as a temporary visa and its duration is usually determined by the student visa holder’s stay and their age. You can study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or any other study or training for no more than 3 months.

Who Can Apply?

To apply this visa, you must:

be a parent or has the legal custody of the child. A relative over the age of 21 or older can also apply, who has student’s parents consent in writing.
not bring a family member who is under the age of 6 unless compelling and compassionate circumstances arise.
be capable of supporting the student with accommodation, studying, and living expense and other support to the student.

Visa Conditions

On this visa, you cannot work:

Maintain health requirements
You must not enter Australia before the person specified in the visa has entered.
No further stay
You must have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
You must be able to provide accommodation, welfare, and other support
Do not leave Australia without the children and grant from immigration

Conditions to Apply for the visa

At the time of application, if you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa but not the following visa types:

Visitor Visa Subclass 600 in Family Sponsored Stream
Transit visa Subclass 771
Diplomatic (Temporary) Visa Subclass 995
Temporary Work Visa Subclass 403
Domestic Worker (Temporary) Subclass 426

Children over the age of six can come with you but they are required to apply for their own student visa.
You can bring the children under the age of six if there is a compelling and compassionate circumstance or granting the visa will benefit the relationship between Australia and the home country of the applicant. But the child is required to have the health insurance and must meet the health requirements for the duration of his/her stay.


Primary applicant fee – from $620


You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa

Stay in Australia

You can stay in Australia until a date specified on your visa grant letter. Most of the time this time period is same as of student visa holder’s stay or when that student turns 18.

If you need more information to prepare your application for Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590, get in touch with our registered Migration Agents.

Disclaimer: The information provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

This page was last modified on: 03/01/2024 22:32:11

Book Consultation With Registered Migration Agent