Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189 (Point-tested stream) is a skilled independent visa. You can study, live and work anywhere in Australia without any restrictions.
This visa comes in two streams:
1. Point-tested Stream
2. New-Zealand Stream
Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189 (Point-tested Stream)
It is a point based General Skilled Migration Visa. This stream is for the skilled worker, who does not have a family or employer sponsorship in Australia. This stream requires the applicant to lodge the Expression of Interest (EOI)
Who Can Apply Visa 189?
To apply this visa:
- Occupation must in the MLTSSL List specified the subclass 189 visa subclass
- Skills must be assessed for the same occupation
- Must lodged an EOI and have been invited by the department to lodge the visa
- Must accrue 65 points as of October 2019
- Age must be between 18 to 44
- Must have minimum 6 band in each for IELTS of equivalent
- Must meet the health and character requirements
- Must satisfy the points test
Step 1 – Check if your occupation is in MLTSSL List and you have accrued 65 points, you can contact us for a preliminary assessment
Step 2 – Then, you can submit the expression of interest
Step 3 – Wait for the invitation
Step 4 – Collect all your documents
Step 5 – Apply for the visa within 60 days of your invitation
Duration of Stay
Subclass 189 visa is granted for 5 years
- Primary applicant fee - $4045
- Secondary applicant over 18 - $2020
- Additional applicant under 18 - $1015
If the additional family member does not have functional English, then second installment of $4885 will be required.
Application Processing Time
- 75% of applications: 10 months
90% of applications: 27 months
- IELTS - You must have overall score at least 6 with no less than 6 bands in each 4 parts or equivalent
PTE – You must have overall score of 50 with no less than 50 in each 4 parts or equivalent
What Rights Will You Have?
- Full work rights, you can live anywhere you want in Australia
- Fully Study rights
- Unlimited travel rights for the main applicant and the member of family units for five years
- Apply for Australian Citizenship after 5 years if eligible
You can be in or outside Australia at the time of visa lodgment
As a holder of this visa, you and your family members must adhere with the Australian Law and the Visa condition.
This visa comes with condition 8515 which means that you cannot marry or enter in a de facto relationship before entering in Australia.
WE at AEC Global, can provide you services for the following:
- Lodge your skill assessment
- Assist in relative sponsorship application
Assist in the Bridging Visa Application
If you have any question regarding Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189, want to apply for skill assessment, contact our experts team of MARA Agents who have all the updated information regarding Australian immigration laws and rules.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.