Skilled Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491)
The Australian Government always wants migrants to work and settle in the ‘designated regional area’in Australia which will significantly contribute to the Australian Economy and develop the regional areas of Australia. Therefore, the Prime Minister of Australian announced on 20th March 2019 about the new Provisional Skilled Visa - Skilled Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491).
Skilled Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491) came into effect from 16th November 2019. The occupation list for this provisional visa is broader and includes more than 500 occupations; however, the applications are decided on the priority basis only.
Designated Regional Area
A new definition was given to the ‘Designated Regional Area’ from 16th of November 2019. Now it includes all Australia except the main 3 metropolitan cities Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. Interestingly, Gold Cost and Perth have now also classified as ‘Designated Regional Area’.
Visa Nomination Requirement
Applicant can be either sponsored by a state or a close family member who lives in ‘Designated Regional Area’.
If you want to apply for the Subclass 491, you must be:
- Nominated by a State or Territory government
- Meet the nomination criterion for that state
- Every state has its own skill, experience, and residential status requirements
If the applicant is sponsored by the Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, then the sponsor:
- Must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Must live in the in ‘Designated Regional Area’
- Must be over the age of 18 years
- Must be in a close relation with the main applicant i.e. Parent, Brother, Sister, Step-uncle,Step Niece or Grandparent etc
- All applicants on the application must be sponsored
General Visa Requirements
- Applicantis nominated by either a State/Territory or a family member
- Must have lodged EOI and have received the invitation
- Can be in or outside Australia at the time of lodging the application
- Must be under the age of 45
- Must have minimum of 6 band in IELTS or equivalent
- Nominated a skilled occupation in consistent with the invitation
- Must have suitable skill assessment for their occupation
- Must pass the point test
How points are accrued for Subclass 491
Subclass 491 is also a point-based visa like other General Skilled Migration Visas. A guideline on how to collect your points is given below:
- 15 Points – once you are invited by the State or Territory Government for the nominated occupation
- 10 Points – if you are married and your partner has his/her skill assessed
- 10 Points - If you are single or your partner is Australian Citizen or Resident
- 5 Points – if your partner has Competent English (minimum 6 score each in IELTS or equivalent)
- 10 Points –if the main applicant has completed Master’s Degree in Certain Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Technology streams
Restriction while you are holding Subclass 491
- Subclass 491 visa is granted for 5 years
- Applicant must live and work in the ‘Designated Regional Area’ for the minimum of 3 years
- Applicant will not be permitted to apply for the following visa during first 3 years
Partner (Temporary) – Subclass 820)
Skilled Nominated - Subclass 190
Skilled Independent - Subclass 189
Business Innovation and Investment - Subclass 188
Employer Nomination - Subclass 186
Business Talent - Subclass 132
Distinguished Talent - Subclass 124 and Subclass 858
Permanent Resident Pathway
- Once the applicant has lived and worked in the ‘Designated Regional Area’ for 3 years
- And earn minimum of $53900 each year.
- The visa holder and his/her family member can apply for the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Subclass 191.
- Subclass 191 (Skilled Regional) Visa will commence from 16th November 2022.
If you think you have accrued enough points to lodge this visa. Contact our highly experienced MARA Agents today for the preliminary assessment.
Disclaimer: All the information provided on this page is for the guidance purpose only and reader must not apply this information to their personal circumstance.